No Symbols have been loaded

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM
I am using VS2010 and target Visual C++ 6. All compiles great , but when I try and debug, breakpoints are hollow and exclamation says Breakpoints will not currently be hit, No symbols have been loaded for this document. I can see a pdb file which is the same as the exe, and I have even tried telling it to add only this pdb in Options/Debugging/Symbols but still no luck. Any one any ideas?

Thanks
Apr 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I'm n windows 7 64 bit by the way I also get this below which would say the symbols for my exe (HMInt,exe) are loaded but obviously it isnt happy with the Windows 64 bit symbols

'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'D:\QNX630\WorkingFolder\963909401 PRISMIC PMS HMI 2 - Network-VERSION_2_0_17\Src\Debug\HMInt.exe', Symbols loaded.
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nsi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MFC42D.DLL', Symbols loaded.
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSVCRTD.DLL', Symbols loaded.
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MFCO42D.DLL', Symbols loaded.
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSVCP60D.DLL', Symbols loaded.
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msimg32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7601.18201_none_ec80f00e8593ece5\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'HMInt.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2014 at 4:54 AM
Some things to check:

1) Make sure you're starting the freshly built executable, and not a different one.
2) Make sure C/C++\General\Debug Information Format is set to one of the Program Database options.
3) Make sure Linker\Debugging\Generate Debug Info is set to Yes.
4) Make sure the source code file you're placing the breakpoint in is actually the one included in the project.
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Edited Apr 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM
Ok, its sort of working now I changed the Debug Information Format is set to one of the Program Database options, but now I reach the breakpoint no problem, bt when I try and step I get

Unhandled exception at 0x00495433 in Ntmmi.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xcae506db.

Also when I change th Program Database it says to also change the linker settings to match, where and how do I do that? is that the problem?

What is the difference with the database options? Is there anything to stop this new problem? Thanks for your help
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2014 at 11:43 PM
I don't know what else to add beyond the 4 items I've already mentioned. You might try creating a new simple project from scratch to see if everything works there. If it does, you can start comparing settings. If the simple project exhibits the same behavior, you might start looking for Visual Studio patches. I know VS 6 had dozens of patches, not all of which got rolled into a service pack (i.e. you have to download and apply them piecemeal).