Cannot set breakpoints - "The breakpoint will not be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I am trying to use Daffodil so that I can use Visual Studio Express 2012 to debug code compiled with Visual C++ 6.0 compilers.

In the past, I would use Visual C++ 6.0 and attach to a process on a network drive and be able to set breakpoints and debug. This was on a Windows XP machine.

Now I need to use Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2012 on a Windows 7 machine. I can't change any makefiles or any build options in my development environment, so I thought that Daffodil would help me out here. I have installed Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2012 and downloaded Daffodil.

When I run Visual Studio 2012, I can attach to my process on a network drive successfully. When I open up a C++ source file and set a breakpoint, I get the warning message in the red breakpoint circle stating "The breakpoint will not be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

I tried adding the symbol file locations (under Tools->Options, then Debugging->Symbols) to both the specific pdb file and the directory where the pdb file is in but there was no difference. I also tried specifying the modules to point to where exe file is but again no difference. I actually don't see how to integrate Daffodil in to Visual Studio 2012.

Has anyone else run into or have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I don't think Daffodil affects debugging; you should be able to debug with or without it. However if you want to rebuild the VC6 project, you'll need VC6 and Daffodil installed. I think you'll be more likely to get help in a Visual Studio debugger forum.
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Thanks for your reply, owenwengerd. Just to clarify, I do have Visual C++ 6.0 and Daffodil installed on my Windows 7 machine. I don't want to rebuild my Visual C++ 6 project. I just want the ability to attach to my process (which I can do successfully) and be able to set breakpoints and view variables, etc. (which I cannot do successfully, as described in my original post).
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Have you checked in VS 6 whether you observe the same behavior? Based on what you've said, I think identical behavior is likely. It is possible that the choice of debug information format in VC6 is set to something that VS 2012 doesn't understand. In any case, I would be surprised if there is any way to solve the problem without rebuilding the project (after changing the debug information format if necessary).