Things to consider?

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Hi Owen,

I have a large legacy project which is in VC6, I'm trying to avoid a full blown move to VS2010 due to the time cost. Since I'm rather new to multitargeting I wonder what should I consider while making this semi-move?

Good Day,

Doron 

Coordinator
Aug 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Odds are reasonably good that it will just work. You just need to make sure both VC6 and VS 2010 are installed and functioning on the development machine, and that all referenced external files or libraries are available. If you encounter any problems, it would most likely be with some rarely used or external build tool that you used in VC 6 but isn't available in VS 2010, or some improperly handled setting that Daffodil doesn't properly translate to VC 6. Your best bet is to migrate a copy of the project and see what happens. Of course, report any problems here if you think they are related to Daffodil.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Is there any specific instruction set. I'm rather new to all of this VC6 stuff. It would be nice to have a more detailed guide. 

There are two reason I want to do this:
A) VC6 doesn't operate smoothly on my machine.

B)  I don't know that IDE.

Should I get it to run smoothly on my machine?

Good Day,

Doron

Coordinator
Aug 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM

You'll need the VC6 build tools to run smoothly. If you're having trouble with the IDE, that shouldn't matter.

There aren't any specific instructions. Try building your project in VS 2010 with the Platform Toolset set to v60 and post if you encounter any problems.