Cannot set breakpoints - "The breakpoint will not be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I am trying to use Daffodil so that I can use Visual Studio Express 2012 to debug code compiled with Visual C++ 6.0 compilers.

In the past, I would use Visual C++ 6.0 and attach to a process on a network drive and be able to set breakpoints and debug. This was on a Windows XP machine.

Now I need to use Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2012 on a Windows 7 machine. I can't change any makefiles or any build options in my development environment, so I thought that Daffodil would help me out here. I have installed Visual Studio 2010, Visual Studio 2012 and downloaded Daffodil.

When I run Visual Studio 2012, I can attach to my process on a network drive successfully. When I open up a C++ source file and set a breakpoint, I get the warning message in the red breakpoint circle stating "The breakpoint will not be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document."

I tried adding the symbol file locations (under Tools->Options, then Debugging->Symbols) to both the specific pdb file and the directory where the pdb file is in but there was no difference. I also tried specifying the modules to point to where exe file is but again no difference. I actually don't see how to integrate Daffodil in to Visual Studio 2012.

Has anyone else run into or have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM
I don't think Daffodil affects debugging; you should be able to debug with or without it. However if you want to rebuild the VC6 project, you'll need VC6 and Daffodil installed. I think you'll be more likely to get help in a Visual Studio debugger forum.
Nov 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Thanks for your reply, owenwengerd. Just to clarify, I do have Visual C++ 6.0 and Daffodil installed on my Windows 7 machine. I don't want to rebuild my Visual C++ 6 project. I just want the ability to attach to my process (which I can do successfully) and be able to set breakpoints and view variables, etc. (which I cannot do successfully, as described in my original post).
Nov 1, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Have you checked in VS 6 whether you observe the same behavior? Based on what you've said, I think identical behavior is likely. It is possible that the choice of debug information format in VC6 is set to something that VS 2012 doesn't understand. In any case, I would be surprised if there is any way to solve the problem without rebuilding the project (after changing the debug information format if necessary).